This is officially the last post, for the foreseeable future, on my experiences with Azure. There isn’t a ton of meat in this one, as it’s more of a “what’s happened since the last post” type of post.
Recently I’ve been playing with Microsoft Azure and installing Dynamics GP 2015 on Azure, upgrading my GP 2010 test environment etc.
One of the things I needed to try to get working was FRx. I haven’t gotten to the point of adding Active Directory on Azure yet, therefore I don’t have a domain and can’t install Management Reporter. Same. Old. Problem. I hate that MR requires a domain, it really limits test and demo capabilities in my opinion… but I won’t rant on that right now!
Pretty soon I’ll have to be more creative with the blog post titles! Part 193 …. geez.
More stuff I’m learning: it’s way easier to install and configure Active Directory Domain Services on Azure than installing SQL Server 2014 fresh on a Windows-only VM. Seriously… I’m on my 3rd attempt to install SQL Server!
If you’ve read my last post, part of the What’s Next was creating a standard VM, installing A/D on it and installing SQL Server on it. This is not and never will be anything close to a production machine, so the significant faux-pas of having SQL Server on a Domain Controller seems like an acceptable risk to me. Since I have test & development licenses, instead of paying by the minute for the license, I figured I should be able to start with a standard Windows O/S VM on Azure and go from there. (more…)
One month has been completed, and my Azure experience cost me $18.80 for a month. If you’ve been following this series so far, you’ll know by now that I haven’t left the machine running outside of when I am actually using it yet… hence the extremely low cost to date. And of course, it didn’t *actually* cost me anything because I was using my MPN credits.
This post is a continuation of my little series of learning about Azure. Part 1 is here, Part 2 is here and Part 3 is here. In this post, I’m going to correct a couple of things I’ve written in the previous posts, update the costs of running this so far, and add a few more general observations. (more…)
Day 3 of using Microsoft Azure and things are becoming a little more clear. I haven’t *done* much with actually using apps on the VM yet, more messing around with installs and configuration. This is a continuation of my first two posts on learning Azure in the context of upgrading to GP2015 for testing. Part 1 is here and Part 2 is here.
As I sat up til nearly 1:00am last night (er, this morning) playing with the new Azure VM, I was thinking “this is going SO smoothly!”. I should have known it wasn’t going to be that easy. 🙂
See yesterday’s “Part 1” post for the introduction to this journey I’m on, which covers why I’m doing this, going from a new subscription to provisioning a SQL server VM. At the end of yesterday’s post, I stopped at “I’ve provisioned my VM”. After that I tried some things, and ran into a problem.
As most of my blog topics start, this begins with fairly standard question from a client asking why their taxes are not defaulting on their Purchase Order in Dynamics GP.
This situation is something I see a lot of in various clients:
- Something isn’t working
- They try to troubleshoot it themselves but can’t find the answer
- They are getting more and more frustrated at the “randomness” of GP by the minute (their words not mine!)
- They email me with the equivalent of a “WTF?” with screen shots showing me when something works fine and when it doesn’t, assuming it’s completely randomly doing something just to piss them off.
The answer nearly always ends up with some variation of one of these:
- Someone did something they shouldn’t have done
- Someone didn’t do something they should have done
Some days I feel like I’m on a game show, where troubleshooting is a contest… “I’ll take strange GP errors for $400 Alex!”.
Today is one of those days!
One of my clients imports in SOP and Payables transactions via eConnect and then uses Postmaster Enterprise to post the batches. Today one of the QA users was doing some testing of GP and their integrations after a recent database refresh from the production company. She calls me and says something isn’t working right. Postmaster keeps logging posting errors but the batches look fine and nothing has changed except refreshing the environment.